Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Brothers and Gator Tacos!

I love Wednesdays. I think Wednesdays are simply fantastic. In fact, every Wednesday morning I wake up and think, “Oh Yay! It’s Wednesday!!”  Now some of you are probably thinking that I am plain crazy… after all Wednesday is the middle of the week, it’s certainly not “Friday, Friday, Friday” (bahahha, I hope you know why I joke), and I guess unless you are in a church choir or attend  a Wednesday night supper, Wednesday is just plain ordinary. But let me tell you what is so extraordinary about MY Wednesdays… 

I moved to Houston TX about 21 months ago, so I guess almost two years now, wow! And I moved here knowing barely a soul, started a new job, moved into an apartment all my own, and lived life as a normal then 24 year old. Well, every Wednesday we host the Grace School Chapel service. The Middle School Ministry, which is what I do, plans the music, speakers, and everything in between. It is held each Wednesday right before lunch – and let me tell you my stomach grumbles the whole way through. I cannot remember how it started, but after chapel one day we decided to go to lunch; we being myself, Ben (the worship leader at Grace) and Eric, my partner in Middle School Ministry crime.  Who even knows where we went that first time, but sure enough the next Wednesday rolled around and we found ourselves again sitting around a table enjoying conversation, life, laughter—and of course a delish meal! (Everything I talk about involves food, oh my!) Actually, there for a while we were going to lunch more than just on Wednesdays – we even coined a name for ourselves, “Yummy In My Tummy” – we had plans to rate every place we went, vowing to try as many ‘new to us’ restaurants as possible, and then make a website to let people know about it—such big dreams! This lasted until we realized that eating out all that much was just not feasible for our wallets or waistlines… So Wednesdays it was. 

Now we have tried many different kinds of restaurants… Café Pita, Shwarma King, Cheeburger Cheeburger… we have tried Asian food, Mexican food, and many a times frequented Eric’s all-time favorite, Wing Stop.  We have sampled and tasted off each other’s plates. We have given 5 stars and no stars. We’ve had belly aches, and not just from strange food, but from all the laughter.  Even our Monday Game Club I am pretty sure came as an idea from Ben out of one of our lunches (I had been carrying Farkle in my purse).  Sometimes, and now, more often than not people have even joined us on our venture. Mostly it is just me and ‘the boys’ – Ben, Eric, Jason, Brian and sometimes even Frenchie.  It is absolutely fabulous. In fact at this moment, I might even have a tear gracing my cheek.
These 21 months of lunches have meant so much to me, they are sacred. I cherish that hour (well, sometimes an  hour, more like 2… well except for that one day we went one place for lunch and another for dessert, that may have been a 3 hour adventure).  These boys, well they are not just my friends, nor my co-workers, they are my family.  I grew up as an only child, but I cannot think of greater guys to call my brothers. 

I am absolutely grateful for Wednesday. It is part of the reason I call Houston home.  Man, could I be anymore blessed? I think not.  I think I am going to start cataloging our restaurants by taking photos of us each Wednesday and recording what we ate – just for a memory…

So, today we went to Bordeaux’s, a Cajun inspired restaurant that Brian insisted we try since we have been experiencing Louisiana weather the past few weeks. I drove us AND had the Gator and Shrimp Tacos, Ben almost passed out from the smell of Jason’s Po’boy sandwich, Brian had TWO HUGE slices of jalapeno corn bread, and Eric, well he rode backseat middle – and loved it!

No comments:

Post a Comment