Monday, January 24, 2011

Dear Food, I really do love you.


The latest addition to my kitchen might not yet be a shiny new dutch oven, but it is a newly framed magazine page out of the latest REAL Simple. I am pretty excited about it, not because of its awesome crookedness in the frame (even though I hung it myself), but because of the quote that is stated underneath the photograph itself. Here is what it says:

" One of the very nicest things about life is the way we must regularly stop whatever it is we are doing and devote ourselves to eating" 


I love it because it is so true. Eating causes us to stop (if done properly, not just a 5 minute snack crunch on the go) and appreciate the finer things in life. It is a way to connect with friends, old and new, to celebrate holidays with family, to cope with a break-up, to savour and discover new flavors, and to satisfy our bodies' hunger. 

For me, food has always been something of an issue... Growing up I was always on a 'diet', being told to watch what I eat, to have this and not that, and food became something I had a strong HATE and love relationship with. I have always loved food, not just in the gorge in it kind of way, but in the discovery of new flavors, recipes, and awesome-ness that who knew seaweed, fish, and rice make an awesome combo kind of way. Anyways, so as I have gotten older and have established who I am as person I have begun to even more take a look into my relationship with food. As most of you know, I love to cook, and what would cooking be without food? Stupid question, I know. But seriously, I love to cook, and not for myself by for others and the more I have thought about it as of late, maybe my cooking and passion for it, is tied to my general desire for people to know that I love them. It might seem silly that I cook for people so they know they are loved, but when you grow up with food tied to several relationships where love and acceptance seemed to be on the line, it might not be that far of a stretch, ya know?  

Just a thought I was having. 

So food, yep. I love ya, I might need to take a slight reprieve from eating all the 'violently ooozing butter' that accompanies some of the most delish things in the world in order that I don't go up a pants size - and thats ok, at least for now! 

Mmmm, I can already smell the wafting smells of Cini for yo sweetie month!

Stay tuned... today, I might have 5 posts, because I am finding it hard to blog regularly, so I just pile my thoughts (and pictures on my iPhone) in my brain and then they come exploding out!


1 comment: