Monday, January 10, 2011

Not like mashed potatoes...

So. The cooking challenge. Well it's almost halfway through the first month of the year and I have yet to get my cooking project underway. In case you have not heard me talk about it enough, I have not solicited or taken your advice yet, or you just plain have zero idea what I am talking about here's how it is gonna go!

12 months. 4 planned recipes per month. Each month to focus on a specific ingredient, theme, food group etc.

****OHHH MY GOODNESS I just experienced some divine intervention. JUST. NOW. I am going to dedicate a WHOLE month to canning! HOT DOG. I forgot that wonderful conversation I had with my LONG TIME AWESOME friend Laura, she is a like the home economics queen! She told me all about pickles, and jams, and okra. YUMO. WAHOO. Canning. Get. Excited. Laura, although she doesn't know this, she will be featured in some way during canning month. Yay Laura. WOOT

Ok so canning can be one month. Bread, what the heck is cooking challenge without making lots of bread? So I can forecast a month of bread, probably needing to be the month I decide to quit just 'making a donation' to the gym, and actually go there. HA.

Here are some of the other suggestions that I have gotten... hmmm...
Mediterranean
Thai
Mashed Potatoes
German Pancakes
Chili
Pies
Cocktails... although this might not be exactly a food, and besides a whole month of cocktails... hahahhah that might not be good for me anyways??!!?
and my own suggestion, cinnamon rolls


Got any more? Now, more specifically, and even though I LOVE me some mashed tators... I need some more, well I am not sure how to explain it, categorical, specific, less specific ideas. PS... you know if you provide input and your are near me, please know, you too will get to reap the benefit of, you fill in the blank, month...

January - might be a wash. I'm busy. I have made burgundy mushrooms and a half dozen more recipes...
February - Cini's for yo sweetie... the month of cinnamon rolls.
March
April - Bread month, and as per Abby's request I will try to make Challah
May
June - Canning
July
August
September
January (now wait this does not belong here... its 11:29..)
October
November
December.

Ok now, get ready to help me fill in those months!


It's ok, everything I make is 100% calorie, sugar, and fat free. Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. I think you need a month dedicated to meat. Think about it, the variety you have. You could pick a type of meat (beef, pork, turkey, ostrich, etc) or you could pick a certain cut and figure out different ways of preparing it. The sky is the limit!

    OR...I think you should do a month dedicated to barbacue, you could do vegetables on the grill, seafood. July would be an appropriate grilling month, or you could wait until fall when it is a little less hot and humid outside.

    Of course for all you could get really creative and pair it with a good beer to enhance the flavor of both.
    Looking forward to seeing how this works out! Good luck! can't wait to read about it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. if you are going to have a month dedicated to meat, how about one dedicate to vegetarian recipes...just a thought! looking forward to some fun reading this year! love ya

    ReplyDelete