Monday, January 10, 2011

HOME... in Houston

Be Prepared... it might be lengthy!

Delete. Yep. Just highlighted and pressed the delete key to the entirety of what I had written moments ago... yuck.

Home. I recently got back from spending the Holidays in my home town, Farmington New Mexico. I truly love it there; my mama and step dad live there, along side many of my friends. This trip for me was unlike any visit I have had. For the first time my home, well it was no longer my home. I moved to Houston about a year and half ago, and it is my home. My mama said to me one evening during one of those mother daughter heart to hearts... "Sara, its ok that this is not your home anymore, your life anymore, it is ok to outgrow places, people, and times in your life." And at first I wanted to be defensive and almost stick up for something, not really sure of what... but then I thought about it, and I already gave you my conclusion. My childhood home was no longer my home, my life had moved on, it had outgrown one place and now had begun to sprout a whole set of healthy, wonderful roots in a new place, Houston.

I love this. A year ago home meant a place that I missed, not where I was. Home can be anywhere really, as long as you allow enough room in your heart for change, challenges, and even the unknown. That is the real beauty of discovering that you are home. For me discovering Houston as my home took just that long, over a year...over a year to make relationships, awesome ones, over a year to make mistakes, a move to a different house, the addition of two fantastic roommates, the discovery of a passion for cooking, laughter (the kind that makes your belly ache and your eyes water), and truly growing and being humbled everyday by our radical God!

ps... I love Farmington... its beautiful and it definitely has its' place in my heart!

So that was my HOME story. I have a couple more, and maybe actually I should have written them first... but alas here we are.

So, for tonight, and really I should blog when I first get a thought in my head, because seriously all last week I had about 100 things I wanted to say, never got the chance to sit down, and now that I do I am having real REAL trouble trying to be eloquent and witty with my writing, and figuring out how to catalog (and remember) all the thoughts I had... So please stay tuned... maybe I will have two posts tonight... or three... or seven. Who the heck knows. Not me.

Ok. Ta Ta for now! hahhahhhaahh love ttfn.

I hope wherever you are, you are HOME.

No comments:

Post a Comment